Skip to main content

Suddenly, it Appears I have Become a Magical Girl (1)

 

As a programmer, I spend hours in front of my computer every day. My one break… My one solace away from screens was supposed to be my time reading the morning newspaper. 

But the newspaper… seems to have bugged.

Normally, I wake up. Shower. Get dressed in a cozy dress and my programmer socks. Then I walk down to the end of the street where I buy a donut, an orange, and a newspaper from the convenient store to go along with my morning coffee. Finally, I come home and consume the calories I need to get through the next 10 hours and flip through that same newspaper to read all about the things I didn’t know happened yesterday because I was inside.

But today… The paper was bugged. 

The date at the top wasn’t today’s date like it was supposed to be. Instead it listed tomorrow’s date.

Secondly, the headline article was one that I definitely would have noticed. 

“Cause still unknown for mysterious blackout that left West Cyllene without power for nearly 2 hours.”

2 hours? Surely I would have noticed a blackout like that. Moreover, it stated that the blackout started at noon, which would have been right when I started working yesterday. I put the paper down to check the time. 11:03 a.m.. It was still early in the morning. But if I took this newspaper to be true… the power would go out in less than an hour…

“Yeah, right.” This is probably a joke issue some kid added to the stack and I was the unlucky one to pick it up. I completed the crossword puzzle on the back page before heading to my office to start work.

Then, with perfect timing as the clock hit noon, everything shut down. My PC, the router, and even my smart phone somehow lost power simultaneously. Somehow the newspaper article had been correct. I fumbled around for the matches and lit one of the scented candles my mother always got me for Christmas. She always picked weird scents but it was much needed light in the basement level apartment. I had dismissed the article out of hand earlier, but now my mind raced as I looked for any information I could. The article theorized that it was some kind of Electromagnetic pulse, as even cellphones and other electronic devices stopped working during this time but began working again afterwards. Sure enough, by the time 2 o’clock rolled around, my phone powered back on and my PC started up. I decided to dedicate my mind to work the rest of the day and not think about this strange occurrence again.

That was until the next morning.

“Excuse me? Is this some kind of joke?”

“It’s printed media, so… probably?” The cashier at the convenience store seemed to not be very polite.

“I’m talking about the date on the paper! They all have tomorrow’s date! And some weird article about a UFO!”

The clerk took the paper and looked it over with a raised eyebrow. “No, this is today’s date. See? Wednesday, April 10th. Same as the date on my phone. And the article here is about the blackout yesterday, not some UFO or whatever.”

“Eh? It clearly says ‘UFO? explosions heard in the sky as residents report seeing a strange object flying over the city.’ Right there, plain as day.” 

“Have you taken your meds today?”

“I take my meds with my breakfast, thank you, but that’s not the point. The point here is that-“ my argument was suddenly cut off by what sounded like an explosion. I ran out and stared up at the sky. Sure enough, something was up there. But it didn’t look like it was a flying saucer it looked more like…. “A dragon?”

Sure enough, what appeared to be a large dragon was flying above the city. 

“You can see it, can’t you.” I heard a voice from behind me and turned to see no one standing there, only a stray cat. “And you can hear me as well, it seems.”

“A talking cat?” It was pure black like the cat of a witch, and its eyes glinted a bright green.

“Tell me. What did you see when you read the Rorschach News Letter?”

“What? Are you saying you know something about the newspaper from the future? What is going on here?”

“From the future, you say? So your power is clairvoyance. The strength of seeing what is yet to come and looking towards a brighter tomorrow.”

“Power?”

“Enough of that for now. You have proven yourself a mage candidate. Do you wish to save that poor girl and your city?”

“What? A girl? Where?”

“You heard that explosion, yes? A poor girl is up there fighting a dragon all by herself. You are the first I have found with the power to help her.”

“This is all absurd… I’m only 30. It's too soon for a midlife crisis… maybe I should take my meds and lay down…”

“This is no hallucination. It is very real. That girl up there is in grave danger unless someone helps her. The sooner she gets help the better her chances.”

“But me… I’m just a programmer. I can’t fight a dragon.”

“What is your name, miss programmer?”

“Cel. Celaeno.”

“I see. Celaeno, take this bracelet and raise it to the sky. Then cry out ‘By the light of the seven sisters, grant me strength.’” The cat handed me a bracelet embossed with a red jewel.

“Argh, fine. If this is a dream I better wake up with my neck not being stiff any more.” I picked up the bracelet and put it on. “B-by the light of the seven sisters, grant me strength!” 

A light burst through the clouds causing fighting in the sky to stop momentarily. The light collided with the bracelet before filling my whole body. I felt my body changing shape, molding itself with the light. My consciousness flickered for a moment before the light disappeared. When I came to, I looked in the window of the convenience store to stare at the girl standing before me who looked no more than 15 or 16. She was wearing a strange outfit that seemed a cross between a cheerleader’s uniform and a knight’s armor. Moreover, her hair shone a deep blue like that of the night sky twinkling with stars. 

“Hey, cat. Is that the girl you said was in trouble?”

“No, dummy. That’s your reflection. Geez, maybe I should have had an IQ test for picking candidates after all.

I stared back at the young girl in the window and blinked. 

“Whaaaaaaaaaaat”

Sure enough, she moved as if mimicking my body, even when attempting crazy motions.

“I hope you’re done acclimating to your new form, because the fight is coming to you.”

“What?” I looked to see the cat run away before looking up to see the dragon barrelling towards me like a freight train. I really should have made my coffee first…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

56K Genie (Potential Pilot)

  “Gee grandpa, it’s just what I always wanted…” “You betcha darn skippy it is. That there was the first computer I ever bought, back before even your mother was born. Got put in the attic when that Y2K bug was going around though, but I knew you were wanting one.” “Can I play games on it?”  “Games? Sure ya can! Lots of games! You’ll be having a ball more than some silly tablet will do ya for.” Maia looked over the ancient machine that was still partially covered in paper and scotch tape. She had asked for a computer ever since she got into elementary school, but her family had not been well off enough to afford one. Sure, she had the family computer to use for school work, but she wanted her own so she could play games in her room.  “Thanks. Grandpa.” “And! I have ya the books for it. Here ya go!” Her grandfather put a stack of dusty books on the table next to her other birthday presents. She gave the thick pile a weary eye before giving a hesitant smile and looking towards her dad wh

Witch's Sock - A Children's Story

Tomorrow was an important day at school for Cora, as it was Show and Tell! The day when all the little witches and warlocks get to show off their favorite possessions. However, Cora had a slight problem: her favorite sock puppet, Pluton, had gone Missing! “Pluton! Pluton! Where have you gone?” Cora called from room to room in her house of magical objects. She searched her drawers and under her bed, but Pluton was nowhere to be found! Only one more place to look in her room: her magical wardrobe. “Wardrobe, wardrobe, you store all my clothes. Have you seen my sock puppet Pluton?” The wardrobe opened its doors and emptied out her clothes. “There are lots of socks here, but none are Pluton.” Cora moved on to the next room. In her mother’s study, she found her puppy, Berry, nibbling on a sock! Her heart sunk in horror as she ran to his side. “Berry! How could you chew on that sock! Could it be my dear Pluton?” “Not at all!” Said Berry, “it's your mother’s sock!” “Well, tha

I Sang Karaoke Every Weekend and Became a Max Level Bard in a Fantasy World - Chapter 1 - The Elven Shepherd

So, let’s review.                 My name is Miyu Seki, 24 years old. I was at a karaoke parlor to grieve over my latest failed interview, when suddenly I was hit by a truck and died, but suddenly I’m alive and well! Is this that overused popular story element the internet is crazy about? Have I been sent to another world?                 Before that, let’s calm down a bit. Breathe, Miyu! Now.. let’s see what all I have with me… my handbag is here still, and with it my phone,  some candy, my wallet (as empty as it is), my folded up resume (useless if I am in another world) as well as a notepad and a pen. Oh, looks like the karaoke microphone is here as well, a lot of good a wireless mic will do without the system to hook it up to though. I checked my reflection in my phone camera, looks like I’m still me. I’ve heard that sometimes people change sex or even race when they get sent to other worlds, so my appearance is pretty reassuring. “Ah! My phone has a signal? Am I still on